Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Crepes!

Alright, so I didn't make crepes for a long time because I had a really bad time making them when Andy and I were first married. I checked out a kid book ("Crepes By Suzette" by Monica Wellington) at the library that had a crepe recipe in the back of the book (the girl in the book lived in France and made crepes to different people with different fillings). This recipe is great! I made some on Sunday night and used the rest of the batter on Monday mid-morning as a snack and just made another batch this afternoon. YUM!
Here's the recipe for 8 crepes.

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
1 cup Milk
1 cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Melted Butter (I used margarine, like always-and it worked)
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
and desired toppings

Utensils needed:
Large bowl (not giant bowl though, 2 quart bowl should work)
Whisk
Ladle
Spatula
Large Frying Pan

Instructions:
In the bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Beat in the milk. Then add the flour and mix until very smooth. Add the melted butter, sugar, and salt to the batter and blend well. It should be the consistency of heavy cream. Add slightly more milk if necessary (I had the perfect ratio.) The batter can be used immediately, but even better, cover and chill for one hour or overnight.

Heat the pan and brush lightly with melted butter (I used spray PAM). Pour in a ladleful of batter (about 3 Tablespoons-I'd go with 1/3 cup). Quickly swirl the pan around so the batter spreads out thin. Cook over medium-high heat until the crepe is set and the edges are lightly browned and lift up easily, about 2 minutes. Flip it, spread it with your favorite filling, and cook for another minute. Fold it in half, dust with powdered sugar and serve.

Filling ideas:
Strawberry Jam (or other flavors) with chocolate syrup, if desired
Peanut butter with chocolate chips
Cinnamon/sugar with Carmel Syrup
Any pie filling
Banana
Honey

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sure I'd like to try some with the strawberries... Making me hungry over here.

NaDell said...

It wasn't just any strawberries either. It was some of Dad's strawberry jam!